Saturday, February 23, 2008

Don't try taking pictures of the Cottonwood Mall.

Alex and I went up to the cabin today. Well, not really. We tried to go up to the cabin today. As we got closer to the turnoff, it started looking like we weren't going to have too much trouble getting there. Um, yeah. Our first clue was the 4 foot wall of snow that the plow had left blocking our first turnoff, on the main dirt road about 1/2 mile up from the highway. But we figured "no problem, just means we have to leave the truck here and take the snowmobile." Another Um, Yeah. We got about a half mile from there and got the snowmobile so stuck it took us an hour and a half to dig it out, unpack the track and get it going again. And the really good part of this whole thing? We decided that we shouldn't have 2 people on it, so I ended up walking down (well it is his snowmobile). Nothing like a nice relaxing half mile walk - in almost 3 feet of snow. I did walk in the snowmobile path, which just meant that it was only every 5th step that I went in up to my knee. And the whole way down I kept thinking "snow shoes." Anyways, we made it down safe and sound, and it was well worth the trip to see all that snow, BS with my brother and see the Honda Element that was on it's side on SR-40 at Strawberry Res. No idea how it happened, we didn't see it happen, but we did see it on it's side, and since somebody was already rendering aide, we just went on our way.
.
At least not from on their property, you have to be on public property where their Rent-A-Cop can't tell you what to do. They're tearing the thing down to rebuild it so I went by today to get some pictures before it's gone. I was up on the parking area by Macey's taking pictures when Security Dude came over and told me to stop taking pictures. "What?" The company that owns the property doesn't want people taking pictures of the mall. And why? you might ask. Seems that they are worried about crazy gunmen, the dude mumbled something about the recent shootings on their property, one of which happens to be Trolley Square. I asked if he was serious. He was. "So I can walk right over there to the sidewalk and take pictures, but I can't here?" "Yup, that's about it." Well, rather than argue with him, I just left and drove around the outside of the property looking for a good spot to get some pictures. I found one, but there already was some lady there taking pictures. I get out of the car and notice she is in a confrontational stance. "You got kicked out of there for taking pictures too?" I ask her, and she immediately relaxes. She thought I was Security Dude and was going to give her some more grief. So there I am, taking pictures of a semi-demolished mall, talking about the absurdity of the whole thing. After all, what are we going to do with pictures of an empty mall that they are taking down? There's nobody to shoot. Blowing up the building would be doing them a favor. Maybe if they were already building the new mall I could see their point.

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

You just can't keep yourself out of trouble, can you? Geez.

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, what can you say?