Saturday, August 23, 2008

More on flooding the desert.....

Here is the picture I took of the kid floating down 13th South on an inner tube; and here's a picture of me (age 23) standing at the curb on 13th South with the water rushing past my feet. The funny thing about my title is that floods occur a lot more often than you'd think in the desert. Because the land is not used to a lot of water, whenever it rains heavily - and it does at least a couple times a year - all the water gets funneled down the lowest path and creates a flash flood. Every year several people die in these floods here in Utah because they figure "flood, in the desert? no way!" But, alas, yes, way!
Click here if you want to see my entire Flood of '83 series....

5 comments:

Jannx said...

Interesting and Informative. Thanks!

A Paperback Writer said...

Cool.
I've bookmarked that.
It's so weird for me to think you were 23 then. I know you're 5 years older than I am. And it's nothing when we're 43 and 48. But the difference between 18 and 23 is vast indeed.
Had I met you then I would have thought of you as "older" and "adult." And, as I type, it occurs to me that I'm not sure I would slap those labels on you now.
;) I'm laughing. Are you?

Max Sartin said...

So, what labels would you slap on me now? “Childish” and “immature”? Well, you’re a big doody-head for saying that! Pbbbllllltttt! MO-OOOO-OM, writer’s calling me names……(and yes, I am laughing) The difference between now and then, is now I choose to be immature, and for the most part I think I choose appropriate times to do it. I can be very mature, which is why my classrooms run relatively smoothly, except for the couple of meltdowns a year. But I have to agree with you, at 18, 23 seems very adult, and at 23 those 18 year olds are just kids. My little brother (1 year younger than you) used to hang around me and my friends a lot back then, they all thought he was such a “cute little kid”. Janine even wanted us to get married so we could adopt him. At 18, 6 years seemed like a whole generation.

A Paperback Writer said...

I'll assume Janine was a girlfriend of yours and then maybe that sentence will make sense.
But I agree with the numbers thing.
And I don't think I'd call you childish either -- except when you feel like it.

Max Sartin said...

You have assumed right, Writer. And thanks, I don't consider myself childish either. I can be when I want to, but overall I don't think I am.