Sunday, February 07, 2010

Seriously, my friends.

I was reading the PARADE section of my Salt Lake1-stock-market Tribune this morning and one of the articles was talking about Super Bowl Myths.  One of the myths was “MYTH #6 The outcome of the Super Bowl predicts the stock market’s performance for the coming year.”  They say that if a team from the old National Football League wins, the markets go up.  If the winner is from the old American Football League, the markets go down.  super-bowl-xliii-steelers-cardinals

As hard as it may be to believe, there is a correlation.  According to some investment guy from Florida,  this myth holds true for 36 of the 43 Super Bowls so far (not including this year).  That’s a correlation of .79, or 79% of the time it’s right.

The question is why?  Just because there is a correlation, doesn’t mean there is a link between the two.  Forpainted%20stork example, in one of my statistics classes the professor pointed out  that the correlation between cigarette smoking and lung cancer was the same as the migration of storks to some area in the Netherlands (I can’t remember the area she mentioned) and a spike in the birth rate there.

Causality?  Probably not.  But it still is amusing.

sartin

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

You're talking about sports again. Isn't that twice in about 10 days? You're beginning to scare me here, buddy.
(Where is the real Max and what have you done with him?!)
I didn't watch the game, but I did read the huge blow up over the anti-abortion commercial that was shown. (Somehow, I just don't think that the superbowl is a place for politics and/or moralizing, no matter how much money a group has to pay for the spot.)

Max Sartin said...

The real Max is sitting on a warm beach in Puerto Vallarta sipping margaritas. I've been hired to take his place so nobody would notice, but now you have. We're going to have to send you down there and replace you with your doppleganger.
I agree with you, but at the same time, why are we making a big fuss about it? I happen to be pro-choice, but at the same time if they want to spend their money there, I say let them.