Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Found this from a friend on Facebook…

…and just had to put it here.  I went to urbanDictionary, entered my name in the “look up”field and this is what I got:

1. Steve

A thong that is visible above the trouser line of a girl. A useful word when spotting a thong or pointing one out without the girl knowing.

"Wow look at that steve over there!"

2. Steve

Steve (short for Steven/Stephen) is a name associated with power and awesomeness.
An Australian male with the name Steve should be praised constantly.
Historians have noted that the name derives from a line of kings, sports stars and top blokes.
It has been noted that philosophers in the mould of Nostradamus and Albert Einstein have stated that the name Steve should be put away because it would be difficult for any young male to have such a burden placed on their shoulders.
However this theory was rebuked by the AOS (Association of Steve's) who correctly suggested that once a child is named Steve they can automatically take upon such a mantle, as with the name they are the recipient of much greatness, authority and laid-backednesss.
Parents who embed their children with this hallowed name shall receive an all round champ of a son for their knowledgeable choice.

My name is Steve
All hail Steve, the almighty

3. Steve

A Visable thong on a woman above her jeans/shorts

"dude, check out the steve on that girl"

4. Steve

The coolest and sometimes most hairy. All the girls want him, much more than a Jesse.

That guy is such a Steve. If he was a stoner, he would be a Jesse.

5. Steve

The most cutest, sweetest guy you will ever meet. He is also very honest, and smart. The sun of your day, and the moon of your night. Just being around him makes you forget all your troubles of the day, as he replaces it with his sweet charm. No matter what, you can always rely on him, with whatever problems it may be, or even if it's just to warm up your day.

"steve in the best person you will ever meet."

6. Steve

In British culture: a working class man whose life revolves around beer, gambling, football, objectifying and degrading woman. Mainly builders, but also make up a large portion of the men in other working class/manual jobs.

7. Steve

Used to describe pot when you don't want people to know what you are talking about / when your parents are around.

Hey man.. Did you talk to Steve tonight?
Are we picking up steve?
Sure, I hang with steve.

As I read through these definitions I first thought “Wow, I’m one cool guy.”  Then my ego deflated a little bit and I started to think “Where the hell do these definitions come from?”  So I went back online and checked it out.

Touted as “A cultish compendium of old-school and fresh-from-the-street slang.”, it turns out it’s one of these wiki-things – where everyone and their dog’s uncle can get on and type in whatever they want.  Unlike Wikipedia, which I generally trust, we don’t have people fixing each other’s errors, just adding on new, and more colorful, definitions.

So, take it for what it is, but I still found it kind of amusing.

sartin

5 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Urban dictionary amuses me. Try looking up Palin or Sarah Palin on it. You will laugh.

I had no idea that a thong line was called a Steve. Wow. You just learn something new every day.

Max Sartin said...

Ok, that was funny. But you have to warn people that "Sarah Palin" is rated "A" for adult themes. For those of you wanting to remain in the "G" rated realm, you can still go check out "Palin".

A Paperback Writer said...

And if you happen to LIKE Palin, don't go at all....

Pedro said...

Wow I had no idea, still it seems a little bit narcisistic. Look up Pedro, as you can guess it isn't very complimentary. I did love your letter to the editor about the 9th grade, but I see where you are going. If they don't have a 9th grade you don't have to teach 9th grade.

Max Sartin said...

I'm just afraid that my letter isn't sarcastic enough. when I read it in the paper I thought "Hmm, sombody might actually think I'm serious."