Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Subaru sellout

I miss the cars from the 60's and early 70's. You could tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Chrysler. You could tell a Toyota from a Datsun from a Mazda. And you could tell an American car from a Japanese car from a German car from a mile away. Not so today. Every small car is a Toyota Corolla. Every midsized car is a Taurus. And now, Subaru has started phasing out it's unique look. Other than the 4 wheel drive, one of Subaru's characteristics was doors without the bar around the window. And a quirky look to it. Here comes the new 2008 Subaru Impreza, the new version of the car I own. Well, now it has rims around the windows, and even worse, it looks a lot like the Mazda 3. Almost identical. Look below. The car in the middle is my Subaru. Without Googling either car, can you tell which is the Mazda and which is the Subaru?

Now, you may ask "who cares?". In which case you either are new to my blog or you are not very observant. Ever since, when I was less than 3, I yelled "Daddy's car" over and over every time we passed the Rambler dealership, I've cared.

And I was going to buy a brand new Impreza as soon as I graduated from my Masters program. Not anymore.

5 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Hey, well at least I'll now have an excuse for saying things like, "It was a medium-sized four door hatchback and it was silver" as my best description of a car.
On the other hand, at least no one's made anything like an El Camino in a blessedly long time.

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, these days even my brothers and I would give the response "It was a silver 4-door something or other, maybe a Corolla?" And I also have to agree with you about the El Camino. Not a good idea.

Anonymous said...

Without googling... silver subie, blue three...

Max Sartin said...

Frankie Z
nope, you're wrong!
.
.
.
.
.
Ok, I lied, you got them right. But then again, you are a Mazda fanatic......

Anonymous said...

Eh, not anymore, Mazda ain't what it used to be... In fact pretty much nobody is what they used to be....

However, I am a car fanatic... Or should I say a "Vehicular Connoisseur"... That's how I knew...