Sunday, October 20, 2013

Turn-of-the-millennium Technology.

I found my very first digital camera recently, and not only does it still work, but my roommate has a computer old enough that it has a card reader that fits the camera’s memory card.

The Kodak DC50 came out in 1996, I’m not sure what year I bought mine, but it wasn’t long after.  I looked for data to compare it with my newest (2yr old) camera, and there wasn’t much to compare.  Technology has changed so much since it came out that the terminology is completely different.  I did find two things that could be directly compared:

  1. The best picture for the DC50 is 756x504 pixels, on my Nikon D3100 camera I get 4608x3072 pixels.
  2. The DC50 can shoot at a maximum rate of 1 picture every 5 seconds, the Nikon takes 3 per second.

The DC50 boasts 24-bit color, the Nikon doesn’t even mention how many bit color it has.   The Nikon boasts a 14.2 megapixel sensor, the DC50 doesn’t even mention megapixels.  [ I think that’s because it’s sensor size is the 756x504 the pictures comes out.  If I’m right, that means it has a 381,024 pixel sensor compared to the 14,200,000 Nikon sensor. ]

So, here is some pictures of my trip to Arches National Park this weekend, through the eyes of a camera from the last millennium.

I’ll get the Nikon pictures on here in the next couple of days.  I have a lot more of those to go through, the DC50’s memory card only held 80 pictures.

1 comment:

Lisa Shafer said...

Those sunset at the campground pics are great. I especially liked the first one of that setting -- and the one with the two jets in it.
Maybe the camera's old, but your talent is still there.

(Hey, I used to get some pretty amazing shots with a little Kodak Instamatic -- with flash cubes.)