Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Lucked out again.....

Ever been sitting in Chipolte's eating your free burrito for Teacher Appreciation Day when an old friend walks in and you know that you know her but can't remember her name? Reminds me of another story that didn't turn out so well, but let's finish this one first. Well, I'm sitting there, thinking about how it will be awkward if she recognizes me, when the people right next to me call out "Deb". Bingo, her last name snaps into my mind and I say hi, we hug and catch up on things for the 5 minutes she's in line for her free burrito.

On the other hand, there are times when the people around you make things even harder for you. This time it was at the Pie by the U, I'm with my little brother Danny when a lady calls out my name. Now, working with customers for so long, I'd become pretty good at carrying on a conversation with someone to which I have no clue who they are. We'd been talking for a couple minutes, the whole time I'm fishing for clues to who she is, when Danny looks at me and asks "Well, aren't you going to introduce us?" **CHOKE** Fortunately she put out her hand and introduced herself. Just as my blood pressure is getting back down towards normal, he looks at me again and asks "So, where do you know her from?". This time I wanted to choke him. He could have asked HER where SHE knew ME from, it should have been pretty obvious I was clueless by then (don't say it), but noooooooo. I think he did it on purpose.

And finally.....

As I was headed to Home Depot today I saw a woman on the side of the road with a sign that said "Single Mother Having Hard Time, Please Help". I don't know if she had any kids or if it was all BS, because there weren't any kids with her. Which, giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming she's not a total con artist, brings to mind the question "Where are the kids?" If you can find, and afford, someone to babysit your kids, couldn't you find someone to watch them while you, oh, say, got a real job?

No comments: