Monday, April 06, 2015

Salty Sunday

On Easter Sunday Lisa Shafer and I headed out to the Great Salt Lake to enjoy the nice, warm weather.

The water is so low that it took us about 15 minutes to walk out to the water from the parking area at Saltair.  As always, there were quite a few seagulls, feasting on the brine shrimp in the lake.

Tumbleweeds, posts from an abandoned pier, seagulls and mountains in the background.

Over by Stansbury Island we found this mountain of salt.

And this isn’t a snow scape – it’s a twig poking out of dried salt.

I’m thinking this is the leftover minerals that they separate from the salt before sending it to your dinner table.

Me, standing out in a field of salt.  It looked like a big pond of water with a sheet of salt on top.  I walked out to see how thick the layer of salt was, to see if it was thick enough to walk on.  The salt wasn’t all that thick, but I could walk on it because it was just a sheet of salt on the sand, no water under it.

Salt wrinkles.

I really wanted to drive the Jeep out onto the sheet, but knew that it would be a stupid idea.  This is as close as I dared get to the salt, and even then I spent $10 spraying down the underside when I got home.

And a big chunk of salt I found on the side of the road.

1 comment:

Lisa Shafer said...

'Twas a very good day.