Saturday, May 05, 2007

Just when you'd decided the human race sucks......

First of all - Happy Cinco De Mayo...

Danny calls me the other day and asks if I'd be willing to help him demolish his mother-in-law's bathroom if she paid us. The first thing out of my mouth was "pay us? what for?" We settled on lunch and the fun of demolishing a bathroom. So today Danny, Alex and I ripped out the whole bathroom and cleaned up (that's why she had to make us dinner, if we hadn't had to clean up we woulda had to pay her.)
So Danny, Josh and I head out to the dump and while we're cleaning the trash out of the trailer, one of the pieces of the toilet (somehow it got broken going into the trailer, can't imagine how that happened), with a nice jagged end decides to slice the hell out of my thumb. Nice and deep, blood all over the place. I'm jumping around holding my thumb, putting pressure on it to stop the bleeding and the lady next to us runs over to her Suburban, gets out her first aid kit and calls me over. Cleans it, and wraps it all up. It stops bleeding, as long as I'm holding it tightly, so Danny and I decide he should finish cleaning out the trailer and then we'd head out to the Insta-Care right by my house and get it stitched up. So, I'm there holding my thumb above my head and Danny is busting butt to get the trailer cleaned out when the husband from next to us comes over and helps Danny finish with the trailer. The wife then comes over and checks the thumb again and even helps me get myself buckled into my seat while danny packs up the tarp and gets us ready to go. Just when I was developing a serious distaste for the entire human race.........
Josh was cute at the Insta-Care. You could tell that he was really interested in what was going on, and at the same time, kinda scared of the whole thing. He'd ask his dad to bring him over and let him sdee, look for 5 seconds and then want to go sit back down, did that 5 or 6 times. Wanna see, dont' wanna see. So, dozen and a half stiches later and we're out of there. Thumb's still numb, just waiting until it's all thawed out and I can feel the pain......

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I don't want to even consider the type of bacteria one might get from a cut on a toilet.

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I went to the InstaCare - not so much the bleeding. I figured it I wrapped it tight enough and was careful, I could keep it from bleeding again, but toilets at the dump - figured it needed a really good cleaning. And the stitches make me worry a little less about it breaking open again.

A Paperback Writer said...

Sorry about the thumb, but it might almost have been worth it just to find some of the really cool people out there doing the random acts of kindness thing. Yeah, every once in a while, someone does something that makes you believe that innate depravity isn't true for everyone (except maybe junior high school students).
Good thing you got over that thumb-sucking habit. (j/k)

A Paperback Writer said...

Hey, Steve, you don't have to post this one, but check out this blog:
http://www.indexed.blogspot.com/
I bet it'll make you forget about your thumb for a while.