Monday, October 31, 2011

Some brick, some mortar, some both.

Gilgal Gardens.  We discovered it when I was in high school, back then it was just someone’s fenced in back yard.  It was overgrown with trees and bushes, in the heart of Salt lake City.  It had (still has) all sorts of weird carvings, sculptures and paths of rocks with scriptures carved into them.  New to Salt Lake, and not LDS, I knew nothing of the meaning of it all, but my friends and I were still drawn to it, always in the middle of the night, for it’s spooky, isolated, otherworldly atmosphere.  I won’t go into details, I still know very little of them, you can get that by clicking on the name at the top.  But now it is a city park, all cleaned up, groomed and only accessible in the day.  Not the same atmosphere, but interesting none the less.  Here are the brick and mortar pictures from a recent trip there.

Check out more photos for this theme by clicking the banner below.  And for cryin’ out loud, add some of your own to the mix…

10 comments:

A Paperback Writer Photos said...

Now that's someplace I've never been.

Max Sartin said...

Well, we'll have to head over there right after we go to the cemetery.

Little Nell said...

A good choice I think, and I see what you mean about spooky! I like that archway too.

Alexia said...

These are great! I love the little shrine (3rd pic). I'll have to get onto this one.

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh yeah. The sphinx has Joseph Smith's face. Bizarre. Even for Utah, that's bizarre.

Max Sartin said...

Writer - that's who I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. thanks for confirming.

Bob Scotney said...

What's Bing Crosby doing there?
An interesting place to find a Sphinx

Sara said...

photo #2 - that is the best keystone I have ever seen! Lots of good brick and mortar here.

21 Wits said...

Wow, this is going on my things to see if I ever visit the area! What an interesting display, and especially the story around the first photo....he looks like someone's favorite uncle, don't you think?

Max Sartin said...

Yeah, and you gotta love the plaid pants :)
Let me know if you ever do get out this way, I can give you directions to a bunch of little-known local sights.