Thursday, August 11, 2011

Temper Tantrum Kitchen

I’ve only seen the ads for Hell’s Kitchen, and from them I really can’t see why anyone would want to watch it.  Am I missing something good about the show, or do people really watch it just to see a grown man act like a spoiled 3 year old?

Is there any reason he has to berate some poor 20-something-er when he essentially fires her, rather than just rationally explaining to her why she isn’t working out?

I despise the very essence of this show.  I feel the same way about all the other shows that are essentially the same, that mistake destroying wannabe dancer’s, singer’s and cook’s self esteem as some kind of legitimate entertainment.  And I’m totally baffled by the fact that people actually watch it.

Because, let’s face it, Simon What’s-his-nuts and I-don’t-even-know-the-douchebag-cook’s name, they would just shrivel up and be absorbed back into the septic tank of entertainment that they were dreamed up out of, if it weren’t that people were actually watching them.

Now that I’ve spewed my venom (sorry, I was forced to endure several of these ads while watching TV today), I have to ask; 

Is there something I’m missing?  Is the part you do not see in the ads worthwhile and enduring enough to make up for the pathetic crap they use to entice people to watch it?

Seriously, I’d like to know.

3 comments:

21 Wits said...

The only one you're missing is his Kitchen Nightmare show...he still has his ocassional hissy fit but what I enjoy about the show is he goes to some other (often far away location) and tries to save a failing kitchen, cafe, family restaurant, whatever. You watch him transform with their help and his excellent guiding (really) and by the end of his week, of course viola they are so far a success, (I love when he goes to an old Inn in England or the likes...he does have a lovely and charming wife and I believe 4 or 5 children (really Max) they are angels believe it or not...he shows them raising pigs and other animals because he wants them to learn how and where food comes from...really that show with Ramsay is worth seeing, and you learn a lot. Especially where people make mistakes in the food business, but really when it comes down to it, he can scream a bit, and the potty mouth may slip (bleep, bleep) but in the Kitchen Nightmares there is a lot of love and heart cooking in the kitchen...check it out, you may just enjoy those shows...not the Hell's Kitchen....

Alexia said...

It's just garbage (polite version). I cannot imagine why anyone would watch this stuff.

Thank heavens for books.

Max Sartin said...

Karen - Thanks, I wasn't even aware he did another show. On the one hand, it's good to know that he can be civil and more constructive than destructive. But it's kind of disconcerting that his temper-tantrum persona is the one that gets the publicity.
I'll have to check out the Kitchen Nightmare show - it sounds more like a Bob Vila "This Old House" type of show. Those kind I like, as you said you can learn a lot from them.
Alexia - I agree with you, it's kind of sad that some people see Hell's Kitchen type of shows as entertainment.